The last characteristic that comes to mind when I think of Jesus is selflessness.
Instead of listing ways to be selfless, let’s zoom in on a few ways the King demonstrated this golden trait.
FOUR WAYS JESUS WAS SELFLESS:
1) He sacrificed heaven for earthly living–to suffer for the unworthy. “And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross” Philippians 2:8, ESV).
2) Though the King of heaven, He emptied Himself to become an earthly servant. “Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him” (John 13:3-5, ESV).
3) He ignored His own desires to help others. “For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me” (Romans 15:3, ESV).
4) No matter how drained and exhausted, He still worked miracles for the helpless. “But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm” (Mark 4:38-39, ESV).
I had to read these verses quite a few times before their intensity really sank in.
Think about it:
Jesus had no home. No comfortable place to sleep. Rarely was He left alone by the pushy and expectant crowds begging for help. He dealt with haters and the demon-possessed. He poured countless hours into His disciples. He fought temptation and spiritual battles.
And then, He went to the cross.
He took the beating, bore the shame, wore the thorns, and suffered the agony of His Father’s abandonment…
…just for us.
What better way to show the world we are His—to stand out—than to humbly live in His selfless ways?
Why not take a few minutes to open your Bible and jot down ways you can apply His selflessness? The list of possibilities is endless.
I’ll leave you with these questions:
1) Have you thanked Jesus for His selflessness? For the sacrifices He made for you?
2) Have you asked God to help you live selflessly?
3) Will you put away selfishness and seek His heart?
*Photo credit to Nathan Proffitt for the painting of Jesus*